Friday, February 10, 2012

Cleveland. And Rocks.

Mostly due to my mangled, barn beam inflicted face....I have decided to stay home while Brent traveled on to Cleveland, Ohio this week where he is acting as a judge at The Cleveland Art Institute's Student Independent Exhibition! I am actually pretty bummed to miss out on this one, the last time we went through Cleveland (with a truck load of art, a theatrical screening of Gravity and a stay at a vintage jazz hotel!) I was also under the weather so I feel like I haven't given this place the exploration it deserves...especially since I was not too long ago gifted some awesome coffee (I think from here?) that hails from this mysterious region!

Also, some of Brent's fellow jurors (who were listed on an e-mail sent to me and who I couldn't help but take a peek at!) make some pretty amazing work! One fulfilling the weird loves I have for both industrial ceramic manipulation & also specimen collection and the other oddly fulfilling the obsession I have with the floating away of architecture...I mean it! I seem to always like these themes in art! I wonder why? Maybe because they are affronts to the odd little realities of capitalist normality (vinyl siding and tchotchkes) that we accept without a question nowadays? Who knows! O well! Sad I am missing this one! Hope I get to see some images of the finished exhibition, maybe even head out there for the opening..? Anyway, me and Cleveland will have our day I guess...(ices face) Here are a few more pics of interesting rocks from our road trip home from Utah! (continues to ice face)