Thursday, August 4, 2011

Blue Rose Project

Stepping into Queen Mary's Garden really felt like swooping down the rabbithole after Alice! So disorienting (despite the cicles & grids of well manicured paths and lawns)! So fragrant! Just incredible! It also felt really good to sit outside for a bit after all of this time being on planes! In fact, I spent so much time on planes that I think I hve become a conessuier of inflight media & plane food! Whether it be a personal touch screen with tons of things to choose from or one screen with scattered subsequent tiny screens displaying one film, I ended up watching a ton of movies on all of my varied flights!

Some of these films included: The Godfather (finally!), the newest version of Jane Eyre (speaking of which did I ever post this insane thing about Jane Eyre? And Gravity? It's in the bottom scroll? WHA?! So odd!), a documentary on Vivienne Westwood (whose passionate political voice and general humor made her wonderful to watch as she rounded up reed thin models behind her runway, making them sign petitions to save rainforests or performed a play with a group of children, encouraging them to follow their hearts and minds through art), and (on the first leg of flights) a documentary on Isabella Rossellini (a fine, fine woman whose increasingly strong sense of self is encouraging as is her modeling/acting/singing, the men she has mused, her own filmmaking, her nursing of dogs for the blind...and just about everything else she does!). During my twenty-four hour layover in London which I mostly spent in the garden I even came across a strain of rose  named after Rossellini's mother, Ingrid Bergman! What a beautiful, cinematic way to end a day and a fitting close to my long, long journey!